Men's 1st Division - Round 4 vs Woolgoolga Wolves

A very frustrating game for players, coaching staff and spectators – I’m sure all would have believed that it was only a matter of time before Storm would score and then score again and again.

Full credit to Woopi as that was their 3rd game in 7 days and everyone believed they would be extremely tired which they were but Storm could not capitalise on this.

The first 10 minutes Storm dominated and then the game seemed to become fairly ordinary with both sides squandering possession. The scores were locked nil all at half time after some great saves by both goal keepers.

Both teams fired up at the start of the second half but it was Woopi who had the first goal after 11 minutes via a deflection from a Storm player. This spurred Storm on but it wasn’t until the 25th min that Storm equalised after some excellent lead up work and a cross from Matt Latham which found Grant’s boot who was charging through the centre.

From that moment on it was all Storm and the game was definitely Storm’s for the taking but unfortunately we could not find the back of the net again.

The positives:
  • Storm came back after being down 1 nil and did not give up for the remainder of the game; and
  • Our defence was solid, particularly in the 2nd half.

  • The negatives:
  • we held the ball too long allowing their defence time to get back in position ie we tried to beat 4 or 5 players at a time before passing or shooting for goal; and
  • we did not play simple football ie short, sharp passing and using the target man for laying off the ball.
  • We can and will improve.

    Northern Storm 1 Woolgoolga 1

    Man of the Match went to Grant Scully.

    - Report by Colin Scully

    Reserve Grade

    Rival teams Northern Storm and Woolgoolga faced off at High St Woolgoolga today the 4th of May at 1.00 pm. The weather was perfect with sunny conditions for what was to be a great game. Both teams started with a fantastic display of attack and defence. Neither team was going to give an inch. It wasn’t until the 29th minute of the game when a loose ball in the box seen Cameron Jones the number 12 for the Storm put the ball in the net to open the scoring . Woolgoolga seemed to lose momentum just before half time and the number 9 John Mangar with a great individual display scores a goal in 33rd minute making it 2 nil at half time.

    The second half started just like the first with both teams playing hard and fast. Woolgoolga could not break the defensive line of the Storm. When they did have shots at goal the Storm keeper Jordan Andrews was up to the task of saving them. Well done Jordan you have a clean slate for today and also man of the match. Woolgoolga were not giving up they played hard and strong. With only a few lapses in concentration which gave the Storm another chance to score with a great pass to Salvador Wamara in the 21st minute of the second half. Salvador controlled the ball and kicked a great curve ball which found the top right corner of the goal. This was the goal of the day and Salvador new it. He didn’t stop smiling for the rest of the game. In defence Dictor Dangrin for the Storm didn’t stop running all day a great display of stamina and commitment for his team. Well done Dictor. We also had 4 yellow cards given by the referee. 2 to the Storm and 2 to Woolgoolga for minor offences.

    Over all it was a great win of 3 nil for the Storm. Not so good for Woolgoolga however they put up a good fight today and I am sure they will tighten up there game for when we meet in the next round.

    - Report by Trevor Jones