Men's 1st Division - Round 2 vs Boambee Bombers

What a difference a week makes. Nevertheless there is a huge amount of improvement to be made if this squad intends to win the premiership.

There was far too much “ball off the ground” and “lost possession”.

Our fitness is starting to improve and we expect this to continue in the next couple of rounds. Our discipline needs to improve both on the park and off together with our attitude. These issues can cost the team points particularly as the yellow card count mounts later in the season. In the first 2 rounds we have already accumulated 6 cards – not good enough lads no matter what you think or indeed say about the refereeing.

No doubt there were good passages of play and I must say in the opening period there were many near misses. It wasn’t until the 24th minute of the second half that Storm scored their first goal followed up 8 minutes later for their second – Mark Ifrah was looking for a hat-trick but it didn’t happen. The defence played much better and congrats to Matt McAtear the 17 year old who put in a solid performance in his first match in the top grade’s starting line up. Mitch Weeden proved he can still “keep” with a top save late in the match.

Man of the Match – Mark Ifrah

Northern Storm 2 Boambee Nil

We look forward to our next match against Westlawn at The Cove on Sunday 21st April. Let’s notch up our first win at home lads.

We look forward to seeing all of our supporters on Sunday and don’t forget to check out the new merchandise on display in the canteen – Adidas gear - polo shirts $35, caps $28 and Rain Jackets $65.

Go the Storm.

- Report by Colin Scully
Reserve Grade

With the wet weather days leading up to the weekend there was a late change of grounds. Ayrshire Park was too wet to play there so the game was transferred to York Street.

From the start of the game, Storm were running hot having had numerous shots at goal none of which found the back of the net. Boambee never game up and in fact scored the first goal 11 minutes into the second half. Storm were stunned as it was definitely against the run of play. However 2 minutes later Storm scored an equaliser courtesy of Desalegn Kitila. Boambee had a lot of trouble getting through the Storm defence who were rock solid led by Noah Bedford who had a great game in defence even with an injured shin suffered in the game.

As the heat of the day took its toll on many players, it was John Mangar who scored the next goal for Storm. Boambee were tiring and then a great header by Cameron Jones off a corner kick found the back of the net for Storm but unfortunately the ball was ruled to have curled out over the baseline before Cameron’s header and hence was ruled out and no goal.

This was a much better game by Storm players considering there were 7 or 8 players which have never played together before and with some good coaching from Keiran Clerke this squad of players can only get better.

There were 3 yellow cards issued by the referee for minor offences (2 to Storm and 1 to Boambee).

Man of the Match this week went to Peter Malith for his strong go-forward approach and never give up attitude – well done Peter.

Northern Storm 2 Boambee 1

- Report by Trevor Jones